Tuesday, December 24, 2013

Pre-Christmas World Cups in San Candido

After a small setback with a tweaked knee in Canada, I had my first race starts for the season last weekend in San Candido. It was great to be back in such a familiar place. This is the fifth consecutive year San Candido has hosted the Ski Cross World Cup event. So let's just say; besides knowing the course very well, I also know where to go for the best coffee and pizza. All important things.

Europe is struggling for snow this season; the Dolomites included. The course had the bare minimum of snow, meaning that features were small. For me, this doesn't necessarily make it easier. I generally prefer bigger, more difficult courses. It separates the girls who are willing to take risks, and go hard and fast on what can be a very intimidating 90-second course. One mistake on an easier course like this and you suffer severe consequences (it generally means not qualifying!).

I finished 21st and 34th respectively. I am disappointed with my performance, however I am looking forward to proving that I can in fact definitely mix with the best in the world at the next World Cup in Megeve, France, in the new year.

Wishing everyone a very Happy Christmas and New Year. Also wishing my teammate Scott Kneller a very hasty recovery from his crash last weekend. Get well soon and looking forward to having you back on the team!

Jenny Owens, Marielle Thompson, Sami Kennedy Sim and myself enjoying the warmer weather.

Qualifications

Finals Day. From left; Katya Crema, Fanny Smith (SUI), Marielle Berger (FRA) and Julie Jensen (NOR).

Third place finish in my heat in finals... A little disappointed!