Monday, January 27, 2014

Back on-track in Kreischberg

Things feel like they are finally back on-track after my 16th place World Cup result in Kreischberg, Austria, on Saturday. This was the final World Cup before the Olympic Games, so it was great to take some confidence from the race with me to Sochi.

My qualification run on Friday wasn't my finest, and I only managed 27th place. In finals however, I came out of the start gate raring to go. In my first heat, I had a great start and took the lead. I finished second in my heat and progressed through to the next round. Unfortunately in the quarter finals I didn't manage to finish in the top two, therefore I was knocked out of the next round and finished in 16th place overall.

A big congratulations to Australian Development Team member Rebecca Wyatt who qualified for her first World Cup finals, and finished 23rd. Awesome effort! And to long running team mate Jenny Owens, who competed in her 101st and final World Cup Ski Cross event.

The plan now is to head to Orcieres, France, for two Europa Cup ski cross races prior to the Games. From here on, I need to stay on my toes and in peak mental and physical condition for the Games. For me, racing head-to-head is the best type of pre-Olympic preparation I can get. 

After France, we will travel to Obertilliac, Austria, for a pre-Olympic training camp. We will be joined by the Austrian, Polish and Czech ski cross teams for our final preparations. 

Then on to Sochi!


Around the first negative turn: Myself, Marielle Berger (FRA), Alize Baron (FRA), Julie Jensen (NOR). Photo by GEPA

Fighting to stay in front. Photo by GEPA


Qualifications. Photo by GEPA