Sunday, February 20, 2011

London

After a long flight back to Europe from the States, following a ‘celebratory after party’ of the Blue Mountain World Cup, I was ready for my long-awaited break. The last time we had some time off was back in December over Christmas. The past 6 weeks has been an intense block of training, racing and travelling. It was time to split from the team and get away from the mountains and snow, and do something different!

I decided to go to London to visit a good friend of mine. I stayed in the beautiful leafy suburb of Notting Hill for the week. Strolls through Portobello Road markets, Oxford Circus and the Borough Markets was just what I needed to get my mind off skiing! I had an incredible time in London. I now understand why so many young Australians move there. The city has so much to offer. Great architecture, culture, food, coffee, and shopping! What more could you want? I was VERY fortunate to get a week of great weather too, so no complaining there!

After a week of being a tourist, including a visit to the top of St. Paul’s Cathedral, the Tate Modern museum with a fellow Melbourne archi student, food tasting at the famous Borough Markets, a stroll down the river past the London Eye and Big Ben, and the discovery of a few great restaurants and quaint British pubs, it was time to head back to Munich to meet the team. 

I'll let my photos do all the talking...

(Big Ben)

(The Australia Shop! I was able to stock up on essentials such as Tim Tams and Milo...)

(Tess and I at Covent Gardens)

(The incredible 360 degree of London from the top of St. Paul's Cathedral)

(Ally and I in Arsenal)

(Chris and I at the Tate Modern Museum)

(Anyone seen 'Notting Hill' the movie? I'm such a tourist!)

(Just a little bit excited about big wheels of cheese)

(Enjoying a gluhwein on a lazy Sunday afternoon at the Borough Markets)