Friday, August 17, 2012

Best Aussie pow day of my 24 years....

It's a massive call, but I honestly think that today was the best powder skiing I've ever had in Australia.

I'm in Mt. Hotham for the Ski Cross National Championships, which will hopefully get off this on Saturday and Sunday (although I wouldn't mind a little more powder skiing in between....) 
Last night it snowed well over 40cm up top, and continued to dump throughout the day, filling in tracks. Official training on the ski cross course was canned due to the conditions, so I made the most of the opportunity and went skiing with teammate Scotty Kneller. And what a day it was! I don't think I've ever skied Hotham with such incredible conditions. The mountain has some seriously steep terrain, with great tree skiing. Run of the day would have to be first tracks off Orchard chair (they opened it mid-morning due to lift maintenance). Scotty and I were first up the lift, and first down One Tree Hill, a steep and deep run through the trees, all the way down to Heavenly Valley.

I couldn't wipe the smile off my face all morning. I'm actually still smiling as I write this blog!